Noake's Worcestershire Page 203

HINDLIP. 203

Next to the hall, the church demands notice. It is near the house, and is a small plain building, restored in 1864, when the 'squire put down a handsome sum towards the work, and made himself responsible for any deficiency. The chancel was rebuilt and lengthened eastward, and a new transeptal chapel added on the south side for the accommodation of Mr. Allsopp and family. A vestry was added on the north side of the chancel; west window, doorway, and font, all new. Cost about 1,000. The tower, which is at the west end, is Perpendicular, and a portion of the nave walls is about the same date. A memorial of Habingdon, the historian, has been beautifully emblazoned at the expense of the Right Hon. M. O'Ferrall, and placed in the new transept; and there are fine Italian marble monuments to the memory of the late Lord and Lady Southwell. Value of living, 180 net, with a house; the Rev. T. Smyth rector; Mr. Allsopp patron; church accommodation, 65; free seats, 25. The rectory house was built in 1841, partly by a loan from Queen Ann's Bounty.

A piece of antiquity near the hall is the Cummings Farmhouse, occupied by Mr. James Green, which must at one time have been occupied by some persons of distinction, judging from its beautiful corniced ceilings, coats of arms, massive oak stairs and fittings, &c.

Smite Hall, Upper and Lower Smite, Doken Field, Oldbury Field, Red Meadow, Wolfs Meadow, Coverley Field, and Cold Harbour, are among the ancient names in this parish. Hindlip is said to signify "the hind's leap."