Noake's Worcestershire Page 293

OVERBURY. 293

Paynes; Mr. J. Wilson, of Barn Hall; Mr. T. Amphlett, of Acton Hall; Mr. C. Amphlett, Hadley Cross; Gardners, Randalls, Pardoes, &c.

Value of living, about 400; patron, Lord Sandys; vicar, Rev. J. Atkyns. In 1814 an Act was passed for enclosing lands, taking down the old parish church, and building a new one, enlarging the churchyard, and building a workhouse. The church, however, was not completed till 1829. It cost 16,000, and is a very decent specimen (by Rickman) of that unenlightened period. It has 875 sittings, of which 172 are free. The walls consist of Ombersley stone, from ancient quarries in the parish. The chancel of the old church is preserved as a mausoleum, and contains among other monuments that of General Lord Sandys, who served at Waterloo.

Much Roman pottery has been dug up at Hadley Heath Common, on the site of a camp; there were entrenchments and a tumulus at this spot; also clay quarries in Gardiner's Grove, which supplied the pottery works, still visible in one of Mr. S. Tracey's fields. Remarkable names of places in the parish: Pope's Hole, Bumble Hole, Collier's Grave, Devil's Den, Catshall, Coneygree, Hither and Farther Warvil, Barrow Lane, Croces, Portway Plat, Salent Oak, Wharwill, and Underdoms. The names of the hamlets in the parish are - Acton, Borley, Chatley, Comhampton, Dunhampton, Hadley, Holt Fleet, Lineholt, Powers, Suddington (pronounced "Sinton"), Sytchampton, and Uphampton.

Overbury.

UNDER the southern side of the Bredon hills, this parish runs, into Gloucestershire, near Tewkesbury. With the hamlet of Conderton, and the chapelries of Alston, Teddington, and Washbourne, there are between 3,000