Noake's Worcestershire Page 347

THE UPTONS. 347

The Uptons.

UPTON-ON-SEVERN, six miles from Tewkeshury and eight from Malvern; Upton Warren, near Brorasgrove ; and Upton Snodsbury, four miles east of Worcester. No. 1 is a quiet little town, somewhat retrograding in prosperity and population, there having been 2,693 inhabitants in 1851, and 2,676 in 1861. It has a first-class station on the Tewkesbury and Malvern line. Messrs. Kent and Sons, the eminent spirit, cider, and vinegar merchants, give employment to a considerable number of hands ; gardening is carried on extensively; and the traffic on the Severn employs some men and boys, though the trade is much less than it would have been if the river had not been superseded partly by the rail, and the navigation had been improved before it was too late. Wheat, beans, and barley, are extensively grown ; orchards abound in all directions; and large quantities of hay are grown in the Severn meadows, and sent off by water to Birmingham, Dudley, and other places. The parish contains 3,170 1/2 acres. Major Martin (Ham Court) is lord of the manor, and he and Sir E. Lechmere, M.P., own the greatest part of the land near the town. The other resident gentry are Lieutenant-Colonel Woodward, The Hyde; Major Tennant, The Eades; Miss Graham, Heath House; Mrs. Attwood, The Boynes; Rev. A. Fowler, Elm Villa; Rev. W. A. Newman, The Hill; and the Rector, Rev. R. Lawson, The Rectory.

Value of living, 917 ; patron, the Bishop. The church, which has 510 sittings, of which 160 are free, is a poor structure, built about a century ago. The materials of Holy Trinity Tower and Cross, Old Market, Westgate Street, Gloucester, which were removed in 1750, were purchashed