Noake's Worcestershire Page 6

6 ABBOTT'S MORTON

Abbott's Morton.

MORE-TOWN may have been a name chosen in consequence of the spot being reclaimed from the forest or waste, or it may have been "the town in the moor." It was sometime called Stony Morion, but the adjunct of "Abbot's" arose from the church here having been one of those which were given to build the monastery at Evesham as early as 708; and here the abbots had one of their country residences. The site of the " Court Close," near the church, with traces of the moat, and some remains of old timber structures in the village, are objects of antiquarian interest. There is a tradition that the silver bella belonging to the abbot are buried in the above site ; but this idea of hid treasure exists almost in every place where ancient buildings once stood. A coin of Constantine was dug up in the parish a few years back ; but Roman coins, you know, were used for centuries after the departure of those invaders, and in places where the legions had never set foot. The parish is situate on the border of the county adjoining Warwickshire, and not far from Alcester - which was well known as a Roman station. It contains about 1,500 acres, of which two-thirds are arable and the remainder pasture. Surface elevated; soil a marly clay, producing good wheat, and the brook Piddle runs through it. In the time of Elizabeth there were twenty-one families here, but the population is not yet doubled, being about 190, and there is church accommodation for 176, the greater part free. Value of living, 200 ; rector, Rev. T. Walker ; patron, G. J. A. Walker, Esq. Tithes commuted for land in 1802; the glebe comprises 167 acres, with a house. The church, which is chiefly of the Decorated style, having a north chapel and western tower